Haven’t Gotten The Help You Need?
Take Our “Help” Survey.
- Do you have a special condition or need such as: menopause, heart disease, thyroid disease, fibromyalgia, sexual dysfunction, andropause, hormone balancing, type two diabetes, insulin resistance, syndrome X, chronic fatigue, weight loss?
- Is your doctor having difficulty diagnosing or treating your condition?
- Do you get to spend the time you’d like with your doctor?
- Have you lost trust in your doctor or the system?
- Have your doctors given up or told you to “learn to live with it.”
- Are you unable to find a physician that understands bioidentical hormones?
- Are you and your physician having difficulty adjusting your thyroid hormones?
- Do the side effects or risks of treatment make you wish for other options?
- Do you feel like your condition is hopeless at times?
- Has your doctor educated you about all the options and the risks involved in each?
- Have you been prescribed anti‑depressants because your doctor didn’t know what else to do?
- Have you had multiple changes in medications or treatments?
“If you do not ask the right question you do not get the right answers. A question asked in the right way often points to its own answer. Asking questions is the ABC of diagnosis. Only the inquiring mind solves problems."
Managed care plans (HMOs) have placed tremendous pressure and restraints on how health-care is provided today. Primary care physicians and specialists alike are overloaded and overwhelmed. Many are seeing twice the number of patients they were just a few years ago.
Both the primary care physician and the specialist are limited in the help they are allowed to provide. Treatments must fit the “usual and customary” guidelines to be allowed.
In spite of the problems associated with HMOs, the system does provide adequate care for the majority of patients. There is a growing minority of patients, however, with conditions that are difficult to diagnose or treat, who are looking for alternative solutions outside the system.
These patients know firsthand that the “usual and customary” approach to diagnosis and treatment isn’t always adequate, and it certainly isn’t right for, everyone!
After the specialist has exhausted all the accepted treatment options and the patient still has un-handled health challenges, the usual advice is, “We’ve done all we can. You’ll have to learn to live with it.”
There is another option available ‑ the “third line” physician. According to Dr. Melvyn R. Werbach, M.D., author of Third Line Medicine, “Third line physicians specialize in treating the very people second line medicine gives up on!”
Third line physicians have an expanding arsenal of treatments for menopause, andropause, heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, adult onset diabetes, insulin resistance, sexual dysfunction, weight loss and anti‑aging. Many of these treatments are so new they are generally not used or allowed by traditional insurance companies or HMOs.
Medical research and development are making quantum leaps. New diagnostics, treatment modalities and pharmaceuticals are being introduced almost daily, it seems. However, these advances don’t make it into the mainstream of medicine very quickly. It has been said that a new discovery takes about thirty years to become generally known and accepted by the medical community.
Patients who aren’t getting the results or treatments they want through insurance and managed care are seeking solutions elsewhere. This is a trend that will continue to grow as maturing baby‑boomers invest in active, healthy lifestyles. They aren’t satisfied with “Learn to live with it!”
How did you respond to the “HELP” survey above? If you are frustrated because your health care provider doesn’t spend the time you need to get your questions answered, then come to our office.
Talk to a third line physician first, like Dr. George Juetersonke DO Colorado Springs, author of Passing on Bypass and Associate Clinical Professor, Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Juetersonke has been in private practice for over thirty-five years helping patients in Colorado and the surrounding states achieve optimal health.
People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.